Thursday, July 8, 2010

When the kid calls you 'nigger'...

On an exploratory 'webwalk'  I came across an interesting blog called 'Black Woman Thinks'. Specifically, an older post (link below) drew my attention .

It concerns the author's contemplation of a response when she came across a small child, whom she heard utter the word 'Nigger' in her direction.

I sometimes feel it needs to be said that as a black person, feelings are deep when it comes to words like this. Because, of course, a word is more than just a word. A word is a whole lot of history within itself. And it's a whole lot of true-as-bob real-life ideology that exists in the hedgerows of your neighbours' houses.

In SA we had/have several of our own, and faced with a few in my lifetime, I recognise the dilemma. A child only really knows what it is told by its closest elders. How do you / I respond to that? Awkward and complicated to say the least. 

For my part, I'll give this a bit of thought before I commit an outright opinion. I suspect it will be one of my longer posts when it does happen.

In the meantime, your thoughts on this interesting situation are appreciated... 


Black Woman Thinks...Religion, Politics, Race, Atheism and more...: A Little Girl called me a 'Nigger' Today...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers