Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Exes can be complicated

I watched the movie It’s Complicated last night and decided that it’s a lot of what Sex and the City SHOULD have have been, if SATC wasn’t such a load of ostentatious pretence.And crap.

“Complicated” has flaws, obviously, (Kids, what’s with the neutralising? Somebody needs to act out here!) but at least it seems more considerate of a real-world quandary – the one where a person often wonders if the long-term relationship that ended... really ended.

In the movie Meryl Streep starts up an affair with her ex-husband (Alec Baldwin in Jack Donaghy mode), who has since remarried. The angst that ensues is endearingly kind-hearted, but needless to say ...complicated.

And, not too put too fine a point on it, I can relate to particular scene when Streep visits her shrink and lists all the reasons she’s afraid she went along with it.

For a long time after I divorced, I kinda struggled with questions around whether it was truly done. And if the occasion arose where I was in the situation described above, would I go there? And if I did, would I be truthful to myself about why? It’s complicated.

Add to the mix a potential new suitor (a superb and against-type Steve Martin), and you’ve got a fairly decent premise, a rare older-cast centric story, and a not-very forgone outcome. Like.

PS: I am happy to say that after all is said and done, I now have a great relationship with my ex-wife D, who I consider still to be one of the fine people. That we are friends is great honour and also a great achievement on both our ends. It can happen.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers