Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Macca saved my life. Maybe

Paul McCartney @ FedEx Field, Landover MD, Aug...Image via Wikipedia
I've just written up a review for Paul McCartney's Good Evening New York City DVD. And I was reminded to respect my musical elders, because music is the most accurate and honest chronometer of our modern lives.

I've been a fan of Macca's work ever since I was a little boy. Besides the Beatles, of which I knew the catalogue by heart before I was age 10, one album that found its way onto the player at my house regularly was Band on the Run. Loved that entire album start to finish, much to my mother's irritation.("Well no one ever left alive in nineteen hundered and eighty five will ever do...")

It still amazes me, after all these years, how Macca's music is so deeply ingrained into my psyche and into my emotional memory. Even as a songwriter, I find myself vascillating when I think a song is either too much like a Macca or too little to be considered worthy. His work truly is the benchmark of pop music songwriting.

Which inevitably leads to a question of "what's your favourite macca song?" Honestly it's too hard to pick one, but I must admit that one song gets me in the throat every single time I hear it: "The Long and Winding Road." (croak) Sorry, there's something stuck in my throat.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers